CSLI Summer Internship Program 2022
NSF REU Site: Language, Cognition, and Computation
About the Program
Interns will work closely with a faculty, postdoc, or grad student mentor on an original cognitive science research project. They will gain experience in developing the project, collecting data, and analyzing the results. In addition to their individual projects, interns will attend a weekly seminar with such topics as reading a scientific paper, introduction to the R data analysis platform, statistics and visualization, and presentation skills. The program will culminate with each intern presenting their work to an interdisciplinary audience.
The topical focus of the program will be on language, learning, computation, and cognition, with an emphasis on giving students the technical skills they need to complete an independent project. Mentors will be from different departments across Stanford; the following PIs and labs participated last year (see links to learn more about the research conducted in these labs):
Confirmed Mentors for Summer 2022
- Michael Bernstein (Computer Science) – Stanford HCI Group
- Michael Frank (Psychology) – Language and Cognition Lab
- Tobias Gerstenberg (Psychology) –- Causality in Cognition Lab
- Hyo Gweon (Psychology) – Social Learning Lab
- Ellen Markman (Psychology) – Markman Lab
- Chris Potts (Linguistics)
- Jeff Hancock (Communication) – Social Media Lab
- Dorsa Sadigh (Computer Science) – ILIAD
- Anne Charity Hudley (Graduate School of Education)
- Nicholas Haber (Graduate School of Education) – Autonomous Agents Lab
- Judith Degen (Linguistics) – ALPS Lab
Previous CSLI Mentors
- Emma Brunskill (Computer Science)
- Adina Sterling (Graduate School of Business) – Equity By Design Lab
- James Landay (Computer Science) – Stanford HCI Group
- Noah Goodman (Psychology and Computer Science) – Computation and Cognition (CoCo) Lab
- Steven Roberts (Psychology) – Social Concepts Lab
- Meghan Sumner (Linguistics) – Sumner Lab
- Thomas Icard (Philosophy)
- Cheryl Phillips (Communication)
- Dan Lassiter (Linguistics)
- Virginia Marchman (Psychology) – Language Learning Lab
- Cleo Condoravdi (Linguistics)
- Sharad Goel (Management Science and Engineering) – SOAL: Society & Algorithms Lab
- Fei-Fei Li (Computer Science) – Vision Lab
- Percy Liang (Computer Science) – Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (SAIL)
- Jure Leskovec (Computer Science) – Stanford Network Analysis Project
- Beth Levin (Linguistics)
- Jay McClelland (Psychology) – Parallel Distributed Processing (PDP) Lab
- Daniel McFarland (Education) – Mimir: The Knowledge Creation Lab
- Johan Ugander (Management Science and Engineering) – SOAL: Society & Algorithms Lab
- Internship date for Summer 2022: June 20 - Aug 12, 2022
- The program is 8 weeks. Students should plan to be available for the entirety of the summer program in order to attend training sessions at the beginning of the program and final presentations at the end.
- In general, interns are expected to be working full-time, 40 hours/week, from 9AM - 5PM, Monday - Friday. Stipend and housing will be provided.
This is an interdisciplinary summer program, and we encourage students from a wide range of majors to apply. Previous research experience is not required.
The program is intended for rising college Juniors and Seniors from outside Stanford University, but we will consider all applicants for the program. Stanford undergraduates who are interested in the CSLI program should apply to their department or program's summer fellowship (e.g. Psychology, Linguistics, Symbolic Systems) and speak with their research mentor about participating.
To be eligible, you must be a documented U.S. citizen, a permanent resident in possession of an alien registration card (I-555), or an international student enrolled in a U.S. undergraduate institution.
Interns will receive summer room and board as well as a stipend.
How to Apply
Application for the 2022 Summer Internship is now CLOSED.
Decision notifications will be sent out by mid-February. Application for the 2023 Summer Internship will be open in December 2022. Follow our twitter feed for updates on our interns!
For questions, please contact us at csli(dot)summer(at)gmail(dot)com
Frequently Asked Questions